Thursday 12 July 2012

Stage Ten


Well as legging it Liggett keeps reminding me, a rest day can do strange things to a cyclist’s body and it did for me. Turns out I’ve strained my rib muscles – who even knew that was an injury you could do? But I’ve been to the race doctor and got the all clear to continue to ride.
And ride I did, pushed it all the way through the solid 30min climb over the truly spectacular Col do Colombier and backed it up with the Col de Richemond.

Cyclists like me are made of a pretty special tough breed, so I would have kept riding regardless.

I've been inspired by the $100 I’ve raised so far for Bicycles for Humanity, my chosen local St Kilda charity, who arrange for old bikes to be fixed and sent to those who need them in developing countries. 

Andy Gild, the Melbourne organiser sent me the below words that I thought I'd share with you
:

Hi Catherine,
What an awesome challenge!! LOVE IT. You may actually inspire others to do the same!
Our project is completely volunteer run, so we really couldn't do it without people like you. I think you already have a good idea about what it is you are supporting, but a great example of how your assistance pays off and just what a big difference a bike can make to the lives and opportunities for communities living in rural Africa. The picture below of the14ha field of maize. The maize was planted in Chibobo, Zambia, with the profits generated from the bike workshop established there in October 2010. The maize is sufficient to feed 150 people for a year, as well as generate income that the community can re-invest to keep the workshop running and expanding.
Thanks to people like you we have now finished packing our 7th bike container and are in the process of raising funds to send it to Africa. The bikes are continuing to roll into our friends at Bicycle Superstores and our challenge at present is therefore really a financial one. EVERY dollar you raise is incredibly helpful to enable us to send these donated bikes to needy communities. The majority of our funds raised to date have been by fantastic Everyday Heroes such as you
So, as we encourage you to get as much support as possible, we (on behalf of the people whose lives you are making such a difference to) also thank you greatly for your efforts. 
I look forward to following your blog,
Kind regards,
Andy Gild and the Bicycles for Humanity, Melbourne team


To show your support and encourage me to complete the Tour (and I really need some encouragement through the mountains!), please throw in a few dollars via my EveryDay Hero account:
 (...and click on 'donate')

Thanks support team- I couldn’t do it without your lead out efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment