Sunday 1 July 2012

Opening Prologue


It all started yesterday. My bike arrived and I arranged my Skoda support vehicle (a series of boxes containing support equipment and my ‘musettes,’ or feeding bags). I then spent the day setting them up to my requirements.

I tested the system during the opening prologue (Liège > Liège, Belgium). As a first time tour rider, I determined to use the 6.4km time trail to settle my nerves and make a few technical adjustments. I didn’t push it and completed the full circuit around the pretty and mostly flat town of Liège in about 45minutes. That makes me approximately six times slower than the leading pace of Fabian Cancellara.

Now that the prologue is complete, I will be settling into executing my strategy for the first week of the Tour. I’m going to ease myself in by riding approximately an hour per stage, saving my strength for the later mountain stages. I’ll then step up my performance over the second and third weeks. 

Looking forward to Stage One tonight. More to be posted soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment